We’ve had several clients ask us if we know of a free alternative software package to Photoshop that would give them the ability to resize and edit photos for use on the websites that we’ve built for them. With this in mind, we thought it may be helpful if we compiled a shortlist of the some of the best free online and downloadable applications that we could find.
1. Gimphoto and GIMP are both downloadable image manipulation programs which allow you to edit composition, re-size or re-touch any photos. The interface is much like Photoshop and very user-friendly.
2. Photoshop Express is a free online basic version of Photoshop offered by Adobe. This version lets you edit your photos, re-size, crop and rotate, reduce red-eye and saturation, adjust white balance, fill light and much more. A great choice for basic photo editing and quick touch-ups.
3. Splashup is a free online photo editing tool that supports layers, filters, brushes, text editing, blend modes and much more. Import multiple photos straight from your desktop, and also from services such as Facebook, Flickr and Picasa.
4. Pixlr is a free web application photo editing tool, no sign-up required. You can start editing images in seconds.
5. Photo Plus (starter edition) is a downloadable photo editing software package that allows you to fix and enhance digital photos. Although not as powerful as Photoshop, if you only have basic needs, it’s perfect.
However, we understand that you’re probably busy running your business and don’t have the time to learn yet another software package – hence we’re always on hand to help. Please feel free to contact us with your image editing requirements and we’ll be happy to offer our services.